nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

xml parsing error: not well-formed Location:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monifa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

I have a number of questions, but starting with this one will, I hope, help resolve the rest. I received the following error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://www.wordstar2.com/modules.php?name=Sitemap&op=Google
Line Number 43, Column 107: <loc>www.wordstar2.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownloaddetails&amp;ttitle=DOS2UNIX & UNIX2DOS&amp;lid=51</loc>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to edit the file to fix the error which I'm assuming is the absence of the "http://" (without the quotes) in the LOC tag. There is an ampersand that wasn't changed to &amp; as well.

How can I get to the file so that I can fix this? I don't see a "sitemap.xml" in the root directory of this domain.

That said, a number of things happened that I don't think could be correct.

First of all, although the Sitemap module icon showed up on my Administration panel, and I was able to click on "configure" and remove the Encyclopedia and FAQ modules from being crawled, Sitemap did not show up in my list of modules in the Modules block. I finally added it manually to nuke_modules via mysql so that I could activate it.

The only table created so far has been nuke_seomodules. I'm assuming there should be one other table at least to hold the contents of the sitemap. If you could provide the information about the structure of any other table(s) that need to be present for NukeSEO to work, I can then easily add the table(s) manually.

In any event, the sitemap appears to be somehwere, although I suspect it's sitting in a temp file that will disappear as soon as I log off. When I go to
http://www.wordstar2.com/modules.php?name=Sitemap&op=Google
I see the list of files to be included in the sitemap. They are all correct in terms of being fully formed paths including the URL which has no "http://" in the above error. I saved the page source as an html file in order not to lose that.

Is there some way to disable having NukeSEO send the file to Google? I want NukeSEO to turn it into a proper xml sitemap because that's the part that takes so much time to do, but I need to make changes to it before it actually gets submitted.

For one thing, I want to add the entries from the Journal module. I also have entries from our wiki to add. I will probably make several sitemaps because we have thousands of posts from our mailing lists which have been active since 1996 to include. This means the sitemap submitted to Google needs to be an index pointing to all the sitemaps, and the sitemap produced by NukeSEO will need to be called sitemap1.xml or some such.

I really don't want automatic submission for this web site (I have other web sites, much smaller, where automatic submission won't mess things up). For this site and one other, I really need to be able to manipulate the sitemaps, but I also need the ease of having the xml code generated automatically. So being able to turn those things on and off would be a definite plus for me.

But first things first, how can I fix the xml parsing error?

I'm using PHPNuke 7.8 with the 3.2 patch, MySQL 4.1.19-Standard, and PHP 4.4.2 on a Linux system with a 2.4.21-37.0.1.ELsmp kernel and Apache 1.3.36 (Unix).

Thanks,
monifa

izone
webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a number of questions, but starting with this one will, I hope, help resolve the rest. I received the following error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://www.wordstar2.com/modules.php?name=Sitemap&op=Google
Line Number 43, Column 107: <loc>www.wordstar2.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownloaddetails&amp;ttitle=DOS2UNIX & UNIX2DOS&amp;lid=51</loc>

Your Sitemap module is accessable only for members. This means that Google boot must register itself first to could read your sitemap Laughing

monifa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. That is excellent news because I was terrified it would send the sitemap to Google before I could stop it. I am first trying out NukeSEO on this particular site, because I've not submitted a sitemap to Google for it yet and so there was nothing already submitted to Google for it to mess up.

However, that does leave the problem of how to get NukeSEO to create a Google sitemap that I can use. I have the HTML map that I have saved from Sitemap, but that leaves me where I was when I started looking for a way to automate making the sitemaps -- a script that will turn a text file or html file into a proper Google sitemap.

Is there no way to get NukeSEO to do this without it sending its own results to Google?

Oh, I just had a thought. Is it actually using Google's protocol to generate a sitemap? If it is, then of course, there's nothing more it can do on my end.

Well, okay, how can I modify the html sitemap before NukeSEO sends it to Google for parsing? By modify, I mean add a large number of locations to it that NukeSEO didn't try to add.

Thanks.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

Why not let Google use the Google sitemap (i.e. modules.php?name=Sitemap&op=Google ) ? Yes, if you add the op=Google parameter, it will display the sitemap in Google's format. Neat, huh?

Check the instructions carefully - it explains how to submit a sitemap to Google. I'd recommend reviewing the Google sitemap before submitting it.

monifa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

When I use the &op=Google parameter to view the sitemap, the results I get vary a lot from one site to another (even with sites that are on the same server using identically set up PHPNuke). I cannot find a pattern either -- many URLS, few URLS, subdirectory of domain, root directory of a domain -- some of each work, some of each return parsing errors using NukeSEO. When it works, NukeSEO does a great job with the portion of each web site it mapped.

Where does NukeSEO store the Google sitemap? Or does it always create the sitemap on the fly? Is there any way to modify it before finalizing it for submission?

I have no web sites that use only PHPNuke, so the sitemaps have to include URLs not included in any module in PHPNuke that NukeSEO cannot map (e.g., I have pages from the Journal modules and from osCommerce as a module, but also important pages from photo galleries, wikis, and mailing list software that are all located within the domain but not within PHPNuke). Visitors will be searching for information on all these pages. So the pages need to be indexed by the search engines. I have at least two web sites that require sitemap indexes that point to a series of sitemaps. I cannot use NukeSEO to submit to Google at all for any of those web sites. I must submit the sitemaps manually to be sure they include all the relevant pages for indexing.

For example, I have one simple site that has osCommerce as a module -- unfortunately, NukeSEO only sees the few items in the News modules, but most items of interest including articles about relevant issues to my visitors will be in the osCommerce module. I would need to modify the NukeSEO sitemap to include that information. Is there any way to do that?

BTW, NukeSEO looks like a very nice piece of software. You have done an admirable job. I don't mean any of my comments as a criticism of your work. I'm just trying to determine if NukeSEO will meet enough of my needs to warrant using it. Everyone's needs are different.

Just about all of the other tools included are widely available for free on the Internet. So I'm really trying to see if I can use NukeSEO with the PHPNuke sites and combine its results with the results of other mapping scripts to get a complete map of each site. None of the many other scripts I've tried did as good a job with the PHPNuke portion of my sites as NukeSEO does. Unfortunately, NukeSEO does not map any non-PHPNuke portions of the web sites.

Thanks.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

It's probably better to see examples of what you're talking about. For many people, the sitemap works without issue.

nukeSEO doesn't store any sitemaps, Google or HTML. It generates them dynamically (on the fly), which means that Google and other search engines (and your visitors, for that matter) always see the most recent content. You can determine which types of content to exclude from the sitemap by selecting the module / content type in the nukeSEO sitemap administration.

We included content objects (used for the Sitemap to show different types of content) for most (but not all) of the standard modules that are included in Nuke. Some additional content objects are available in the downloads section for other modules, and new ones are being developed here and elsewhere (it's not hard).

Just to clarify, Google sitemaps cannot be "submitted" from a website. They are defined in Google Sitemaps, and that determines which sitemaps are used by Google. nukeSEO simplifies the submission by linking to the appropriate place to submit the sitemap. Also, you can specify multiple Google sitemaps (e.g. one for Nuke and one for osCommerce), and it doesn't hurt to have multiple sitemaps.

For content outside of Nuke, you will want to consider from among several options:
- don't include it in the sitemap (probably not a good idea, depending on the content
- create a special content object that includes the outside content (we're planning to develop this soon, but it will likely be for static html files in a directory)
- use another sitemap for that content (osCommerce, for example, has its own sitemap functions, but you could also develop a nukeSEO content module that retrieves dynamic content from osCommerce, even if it's in another database on the same server)
- use another sitemap function that does everything you want

monifa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: xml parsing error: not well-formed Location: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly take your suggestions under advisement. One thing I'm wondering, though, is if we are talking at cross purposes. You have obviously gone to a lot of trouble to produce a sitemap suitable for displaying to visitors to a web site, and I agree that's a good thing. And, NukeSEO does a great job of doing that for PHPNuke.

However, for me it is not a central thing. I'm more interested in a complete mapping of the web sites for search engines. That is, from my perspective, all the relevant content connected with the web site, whether it be from PHPNuke, phpWiki, Mailman mailing list archives, or osCommerce needs to be in the sitemap. That all-important search engine sitemap is not for displaying to visitors. I have navigational tools up to get visitors into the places they should be going. The search engines should provide a direct link to the deep pages for visitors who already know what they are looking for -- that's the function I'm using sitemaps to achieve.

I already submit multiple sitemaps for several web sites, but I may need to take your suggestion and find plugins for each of the specialized software that I use that will produce those sitemaps via a schedule of some sort or on-the-fly.

From the point of view of the PHPNuke portion of a web site (and a sitemap to display that portion to visitors), I certainly miss having the Journal module mapped in NukeSEO. Are you planning on adding that, or do you feel not enough people use it to make the effort worthwhile?

What does NukeSEO call the sitemap it submits to Google? I already use "sitemap.xml" for Google sitemap indexing (pointers). I really don't want Google to get confused by having two sitemaps for the same web site submitted with the same name. Or, does NukeSEO submit the http://www.domain.name/modules?name=Sitemap&op=Google as the sitemap?

Thanks for your comments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: