nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What else can you do to optimize your PHP-Nuke site?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: What else can you do to optimize your PHP-Nuke site? Reply with quote

nukeSEO includes several tools for optimizing a PHP-Nuke website for search engines. But there are several other tools and techniques you should use to improve search engine rankings.

URL rewriting (e.g. GoogleTap, NextGen) - there is no clear consensus among SEO experts as to whether or not search engines fail to crawl pages with long URLs or with PHP variables. SEO gurus also don't agree on whether having key fields in the URL helps.

Sitemaps - most SEO experts agree that having a site map helps search engines find the content on your site quickly and that this helps your rankings. One example of a dynamic sitemap for PHP-Nuke is Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly agree with kguske on url re-writing.
I have not seen any evidence myself to support the fact that keyword url's would give you a better ranking than a 'normal' url.
The exception might be possibly be in html sitemaps where the keywords in the url MAY help as they can be read.

Google and most other bots do not like session ID's in url's and google in particular will stop crawling any url with session ID's so for that reason alone I have a personal preference to us re-writing on my own sites.

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that this fits in the topic of 'optimising' but I employ a number of techniques to help with search engine rankings.
Some of these techniques are well known, others I have found from my own experimentations.

Mapping
It will ALWAYS help if search engines can actually find the content on your site that you want to promote.
I employ both xml and html sitemaps. My xml sitemap is aimed specifically at google with a specific requirement that it lists my news, content and forum posts.
As forums can generate tons of useful keywords and frequently changing data, to my mind, it is essential that this area is not over-looked.

To help, I utilise one single file called rdf-nuke.php
This file is extremely useful for me as by varying the parameters on which the file is called I can generate an xml output for any forums(s).
For example;
http://www.guildofsecurity.co.uk/rdf-nuke.php?count=50
will retreive a list of the last 50 forum posts.

http://www.guildofsecurity.co.uk/rdf-nuke.php?fid=9
this will return all forum posts from the forum with the Forum_ID '9'

http://www.guildofsecurity.co.uk/rdf-nuke.php?fid=5&count=3
will retrieve the last 3 posts from the forum with the id '3'

I can make any specific url I want and add it to my google sitemap.
I also use a module called INPUT_FIND - this basically allows me to generate forum posts from xml data feeds from other site. This give me constantly changing dynamic content which is both relevant to my site and gives google and others something to chew on every day.

HTML sitemaps should also not be over looked, if nothing else, they can help with keyword count by making use of alt and description tags as well as plain text in the link.

Images
A lot of people forget about image 'alt' tags - take a look at your theme and see how many are actually used - not many I bet!!
Again, this can help toward that elusive keyword intensity count.

Keywords
Keywords and key phrases are king!
There is absolutely no point in going over-board with meta tags!
If you have regularly updated dynamic content - that is your key to success! If you find you are falling short of your target there are some tricks you can employ to give yourself a little boost.
Usernames - they can and will be crawled so set up a couple of dummy accounts using your top keywords and make news and forum posts with these usernames.

Create 'content', 'faq' and other pages that are keyword rich.
If you can do so without misleading anyone, edit forum posts subjects to incorporate keywords and choose your forum category names wisely!

Other
If your hosting account allows you to use sub-domains, don't waste them. Create sub-domains with an 'intro' page with links to parts of your main site. You can create sitempas for these pages and get the search bots to crawl them too.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thank you, Guardian! This is a wealth of good ideas...

There is a function (a method, for the OO purists) on the sitemap content classes that allows you to specify module links. By default, it returns only modules.php?name=module in an array. But it COULD be used to return other links, too (such as the rdf-nuke links you mentioned). The idea was to enable modules like the legal docs module to be included in the sitemap, even if there is no content in a database. The problem, however, is that the sitemap requires at least one record in the temporary table before it executes that function / method (i.e. database content IS required). I'm looking for a way around that...

Your points and ideas about keywords are right on. While doing research for nukeSEO, I found most SEO gurus (self-proclaimed and otherwise) are now recommending to focus on content, rather than tricks, etc., especially with recent changes in Google's rankings. But, as you mention, some of those tricks are legitimate in that they can both help visitors AND search engines. That's the main benefit of the Sitemap. Once nukeSEO had the regular sitemap, enabling it for Google's XML format was pretty simple. And having a good Google sitemap REALLY helps with Google. I can't stress that enough: anyone interested in having good rankings in Google should have a verified, active and current Google sitemap.

meetzah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What else can you do to optimize your PHP-Nuke site? Reply with quote

Quote:
I also use a module called INPUT_FIND - this basically allows me to generate forum posts from xml data feeds from other site. This give me constantly changing dynamic content which is both relevant to my site and gives google and others something to chew on every day.

Guardian, can you tell me more about this? Please, were can I find this module? Thank you.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What else can you do to optimize your PHP-Nuke site? Reply with quote

I think it is called INPUT FIND or FIND-INPUT, a google search for 'phpnuke module input find' should get it for you.
The original one was for the stand alone phpBB forum but I managed to find a ported version a while ago that I have been playing with.

I have just started using it on a new experimental site I'm developing.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What else can you do to optimize your PHP-Nuke site? Reply with quote

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! one version.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What else can you do to optimize your PHP-Nuke site? Reply with quote

Yup, thats the one I use on my main site and also on my new site.
While I'm here - I didn't answer your question 'tell me more about it'.
Well basically it is easily installed, requires minimal file editing and allows you to 'grab' rss/xml feeds and input them directly into a forum via an automated process.
The only thing is, I have not managed to get the 'grabs' to auto update via cronjob yet. I think its a permissions problem (user permission as against file permission).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: