nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can nukeSEO(tm) DH also handle rel="canonical"?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the links should be consistent across module, feed, sitemap and canonical. Great point!

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the more I think of at least the link for canonical up in the HEAD could in fact be potentially placed there by DH, at least where the content allows.

For the news, for example, there are links to the direct article content, then also by Topic and another by Category. One would have to decide what are all the various links coming into these three (or if there other views I haven't captured) and then provide the right canonical one up top. Could even provide an override capability for it I think.

So, for the example already given, since the article ID is used in DH to determine what the title/meta components are, it doesn't really care about the comment threading parameters right? The trick though would be to not provide the additional LINK tag when actually ON the page that is the canonical one... Interesting...

Where it would fall down is if there is yet another Level, outside of the 4 (I think) that you allow for now? But, how often would we find something like that? (Forums??? lol)

Oh well, just more rambling thoughts from a friend. Laughing

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get rid of the comment threading!
&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0

I know, I know, it's about choices but seriously, show me one single person/site that uses anything but the default.
It makes it really messy when you have literally different threaded comments shooting off all over the place any way IMHO.

montego

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-man,
Completely agree and I already mentioned above that I had done that for the latest 2.4 release of RavenNuke(tm). I just needed an example to demonstrate, clearly, what the issue is. How many other modules have issues? What about a simple sort capability? What about all the forum link garbage? What about eCommerce tools? Just trying to see if there might be a way to improve upon things a bit without folks having to re-code their modules... (and I don't mean the authors who in many cases are either long gone or refuse)

Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what your driving at but we have so much duplicated content it's unbelievable. As someone (sorry I didn't recap on this topic) already mentioned, we have News dishing content, then the ridiculous news comment threading linking to the same content, then on top of that, there is also the 'rate this article' which is another duplicate, the the Top module links into the news data...........

I think TrickedOut News does something I have been ranting about for a while now, and puts the comments, reviews, votes etc all on the one 'article' page (I really must try it out soon) and I think that could definitely help.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the incoming URLs are all the same, not duplicate. For example, if the Top module comes into the article with a different URL, then, yes, i agree, we must squash that as a bug immediately. I'll have to look at the "rate this article" as I can't recall now what that presents on the page... wouldn't surprise me if it was "substantially similar".

Yeah, sure wish TrickedOut News was NSN Groups aware... we really need it to be IMO. I don't relish the thought, though, of changing out of all the links and the 301 redirects we'd have to account for. Needs to be a strong migration approach laid out IMO.

Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Tricked Out News now on my site, at least the article links seem to be the same as the standard *nuke ones so thats good news.
I'm going to mess about with it a bit and definitely address the 'layout' of the article page, then possibly look to see if it's feasible to add Groups awareness.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, there are no group-aware News modules.

montego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSN News, I was certain, was NSN Groups aware... Are you sure that it isn't? Could have sworn that I saw within the new story post page a way to set the groups.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe NSN 2, but not the version 1 I use on this site.

Palbin
webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSN 2 is not groups aware. It won't be hard to do. I sent G the news module (NSN 2.0) I have been working on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: