nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dynamic titles for html pages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amber222
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Dynamic titles for html pages Reply with quote

I am using RN 2.40. I have a simple custom About module that only consists of html pages. No data is saved to any db tables. The html pages are called in the index.php file like this:

Code:
$ACCEPT_FILE['about.html'] = 'about.html';

$ACCEPT_FILE[biographies.html'] = 'biographies.html';
$ACCEPT_FILE['mission.html'] = '''mission.html';

I want to use dynamic titles and description for these pages, or use the meta tags that are on those individual html pages. Can you please help me with this? Thanks.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the HTML pages already have META tags?

amber222

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Don't the HTML pages already have META tags?

Yes. As I said, "... or use the meta tags that are on those individual html pages." The problem is once added to a module, the meta tags on the html pages don't show up. Instead, this About module shows the same thing as on the home page. I'd like it to have it's own title and description. Thanks.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the Legal or Content modules?

amber222

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Why not use the Legal or Content modules?

I abhor the Content module, and neither of these modules fit my needs. Although these are html pages, they have tables and columns with info. Also, they are already completed.

So does that mean you can't help me?

spasticdonkey
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have some pointers on this but I need a little more info. What do the URL's for the module look like? Does each page have a unique URL? (they will need to)

I could write you something up to try, but would need to have a look at the module. Either zip up the module and PM me the details, or post a link to the module itself.

amber222

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, spasticdonkey. I'm sending you a pm.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amber222,

It can probably be done, but it's more difficult than using an existing function. The problem with using static HTML inside a CMS is more than just not showing the META tags from the static HTML pages. We could probably turn off the META generation for a specific module (e.g. About), but that still doesn't address multiple body tags, potentially multiple doc types, etc. Has that been addressed already (e.g. have these things been removed from the static HTML)?

amber222

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I took so long to respond - I had a death in the family and have been offline.

spasticdonkey was kind enough to do this for me, shortlinks and all, and it works great! Yes, the tags have been removed.

I can now change the description and keywords for all of the pages in the module. The title doesn't change, but I've learned that if I need a different title, just put that html page in a different module.

Thanks, spasticdonkey. It's greatly appreciated.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the death, but happy to know it's working now.

I had another idea, too, of having the module strip out the HEAD section, or at least the title and META tags, from the HTML file before displaying.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey no problem amber Smile
sorry to hear of your loss

just so your in the loop kguske, i based the solution on your post to a similar issue I had
http://nukeseo.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=378

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: