nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with feeds
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Actually, hate to say it, but I am now getting the same issue with the version of nukePIE that is latest within SVN. I upgraded my church website last night, incorporate two feeds from another affiliated church web site and all was well. I even sent out a note to a few folks to take a look because it was so cool (I helped the other site with testing their RSS feeds this past week...).

Anyways, when I get up this morning and hit my church web site, I was getting the same message coming back in the block that it was unable to read this feed:

http://www.gbible.org/rss_titles.xml

Well, all my other clients were reading it just fine. So, I decided to use FTP to remove the cache files and now they are working again.

So, it seems to me that something is happening, possibly at block re-cache time, that is keeping this from working properly.

I am going to watch this for a couple of hours more today (home again with sick child) and will post back if I can notice any other oddity. I changed the refresh period to once every 1/2 hour, so hopefully I will see something happen shortly...

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Ok, it is definitely at re-cache time. I have two RSS feeds on the site (kguske, the url I gave you last night). I have two cache files still. Odd thing is that they still have the old feed data in them OR they were re-written (as these feeds have not changed yet), however, for some reason, headlines() isn't picking them up.

I can remove the cache files that are out there and then they get re-created just fine.

If I had to guess as to what is happening, you are trying to overwrite the files, but they do not have 666 permissions, so the re-write fails. I do see that the files are written with permissions of 644 (normal for web).

Edited: by the way, is there are way to manually reset things? I am concerned that when nuke hits the re-cache period that even if I re-cached the SimplePIE files each morning by deleting them, that the "clock" is still clicking down to when the feeds will be broken again.

fkelly
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

M. I think the problem is likely more complicated than just that "it goes bonkers at re-cache time" (not that you put it that way). On webmhcc.org I have been running 5 different feeds on the home page for the whole week and I haven't seen a single problem. So, for some situations it does work properly. I have my little hack in to limit the number of items displayed in each block to 10 but otherwise I'm running what's in the SVN.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

OK guys, looks like there is an update to SimplePie to correct this issue (that's what happens when there is an active development team, rather than one developer who might get delayed).

I was having the same problem, so I reverted back to 1.0.1. Now I'm running the latest 1.1.1 from SVN, and if the problem is resolved, I will update the RN SVN.

Regarding manually resetting things, yes you can simply delete the .spc files in your cache directory Laughing

montego

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Thank you sir! I wouldn't mind also being a "tester" of this if you want to email it to me... Wink

montego

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

48 hrs now with the new SimplePIE file and everything is A-OK! Thank you sir!

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Well the newest simplepie improved the situation a bit on my test site (fkelly.org) where I had ALL the feeds from the headlines table running.

However on the production site, my "hack" to set the maximum quantity of items to 10 no longer seems to have any effect. All I did previously was go into what is now line 2928 of simplepie inc and do this

function get_items($start = 0, $end = 10)

where I changed $end from 0 to 10.

I know this capability is not in the "specs". However, if you go over to webmhcc.org and look at the Velonews feed towards the bottom of the home page you will see why it should at least be on the list.

I will go back and do a diff tomorrow and see if I missed something on re-implementing the hack or whether there is something equally simple I can do.

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

I just confirmed that the version that is in SVN, if you change that $end to 10 will limit the number of times. The version that is proposed will not do that.

I can see that a number of changes were made post what's in the SVN for Ravennuke now (January 2Cool but I don't know how or why they are affecting the get_items function.

I very well understand that the limit capability may not be able to be squeezed into the version that goes out with RN 2.20 but any advise on "hacking" it would be appreciated. Some the feeds I am using are giving me in excess of 50 items and that really distorts my home page.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

kguske, I take it you are still tweaking the class? I don't see the new class in the RN codebase either. In thinking about this issue of feed length, I hadn't thought of that before either.

Yes, we should be able to override the max items on feeds because each site may have different layouts and needs, but I don't think modifying the SimplePIE class is the way to go. My reasoning is that I suspect you would also be using SimplePIE for nukeREADER, and in there, you would probably want to have more flexibility in terms of configurability as it is going to have to handle many, many different types of feeds.

JMO of course.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Prefer not to tweak the class to add functionality because that prevents upgrading easily. I remember seeing something about being able to specify how many items to use from each feed when processing multiple feeds (SimplePie has, or is developing, this functionality). All of that may ultimately be used in nukeREADER as montego suggested.

For now, I'm hoping to see a final release - otherwise I'll SVN the current version by the end of this week (or sooner).

To address fkelly's concern, maybe we offer a tweak to the headlines function that either tells SimplePie to only get x items or only display x items from a feed. Without changes to the block administration, this would be limited to a config setting and apply to all feeds. But again, the goal for nukePIE is to replace the standard Nuke block reader with something that works with current feed formats. That it can also improve SEO and the user's experience / productivity via Boxover was IMO a low-cost, high-value addition.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Quote:

But again, the goal for nukePIE is to replace the standard Nuke block reader with something that works with current feed formats. That it can also improve SEO and the user's experience / productivity via Boxover was IMO a low-cost, high-value addition.

Completely agree and understand. But, you know us, we are always looking for ways to improve. Wink Laughing

montego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Kguske, since you are having intermittent email issues... Would you please SVN the latest that you have so that we are assured of at least getting this version into RN. If they end up releasing a better release and we have not released RN yet, you can always update it then right?

Very much appreciated sir!

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Quote:
To address fkelly's concern, maybe we offer a tweak to the headlines function that either tells SimplePie to only get x items or only display x items from a feed. Without changes to the block administration, this would be limited to a config setting and apply to all feeds

As mentioned earlier, I had "hard coded" an $end of 10 into an earlier version of simplepie.inc. That doesn't work with later versions including the one in the SVN now. So I looked at Kguske's suggestion and tried this modification to the headlines function in mainfile:

Code:
       $start = 0;

$end = 10;
      foreach($feed->get_items($start,$end) as $item) {

That seems to do the trick. I think it's probably pretty late in 2.20 to be making configuration table changes (which would require modifying admin.php or maybe settings.php? and further regression testing. If this is an acceptable approach I could "pretty this up" with some comments saying "boost the value in $end if you want more feed items in each block" and svn something for mainfile. (The comment should also say, I think, set the value of $end to 0 to read all items the feed provides).

Or I can just leave this alone and modify my own site with the hack and we can address it in the subsequent release with something more well thought out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Page 4 of 4

Jump to: