nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with feeds
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fkelly
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

I uploaded the blocks update plus the custom files update to both sites. I checked thru phpmyadmin and the content field in the blocks table is no longer getting updated. (I deleted the Velonews block and put it back in).

I am still getting the same old message on the Velonews feed block however. I tried deleting the cache directory thinking that might force it to read the feed directly. No luck on that, same message.

Then I recreated the cache directory but changed its permissions to 555. Still no luck. This is on my production site.

If you don't see anything else obvious and you want to put some diagnostics into simplepie.inc and run it on fkelly.org please feel free. The site is yours to experiment with if it will help.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

It sounds like something is missing on the mainfile.php file or includes/SimplePie directory. Did you send a PM?

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
Beyond Compare is acting a little strange but it is also looking to me like when you do a Tortoisesvn export you are getting old dates on files in at least some directories. The dates don't seem to match what's in a true repository..

By the way, I NEVER, anymore, use date file comparisons. I use the Binary Comparison ONLY and that has saved me tons of headaches when I'm trying to do file folder comparisons.

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

PM sent a couple of hours ago.

I have checked the includes directory seven ways from Sunday. It is a duplicate of what's in the SVN. If not, take me out and shoot me.

Re. file comparisons, I disabled the date comparisons too. I am thinking that in transitioning to the laptop for the trip one of my FTP programs may have done an ASCII transfer that's resulting in different file sizes. If I look at the two files that are being reported as different in the file viewer, no differences are found. I have gone back and double checked to make sure all FTP programs are using binary.

And I reuploaded simplepie.inc and mainfile from the svn first thing this morning to both sites, with no resulting change.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Having trouble comparing the site to my local copy, but so far I've been able to confirm that the includes/SimplePie directory is correct.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Houston, we have a problem. Your server currently doesn't support mbstring or iconv, 2 PHP extensions used to handle UTF-8 and international character conversions, and this limits your site's ability to handle foreign feeds. SimplePie 1.0.1 couldn't handle this scenario, and caused the PHP error you saw.

SO, I upgraded your site to SimplePie 1.1.1 and, YES- it resolves the problem!

HOWEVER, there are a number of undefined fields in the class that don't appear to have been there before...well, one thing at a time.

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Thanks! I have just been having this sickening feeling that I might have made a configuration error or some mistake in copying files up. Now I can sleep!

As to the server stuff, for my situation we can report that to Raven and I'm sure he will resolve it expeditiously (if feasible). However we probably would have run into similar issues on many other servers so it's better this get dealt with.

I'll look at what you did on fkelly.org tomorrow and maybe copy that over to webmhcc.org for further testing. Then when we get the ultimate solution into the svn I will retest it all.

Thanks again Kevin. This is just going to be a great feature for Nuke web sites.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

By then, I should have the errors fixed (the SimplePie team is really on the ball!).

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Version 1.1.1 ??
Geesh, I haven't even updated my other site to 1.0 yet!
Then again, two tins and a piece of string 2000km long would be more efficient than my net connection at the moment. Reminds me of when I had a whopping 14.4Kb modem Smile

fkelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

The new version solves the problems with Velonews I reported. However for this url:

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

I get "A feed could not be found at http://www.kde.org/dotkdeorg.rdf " message.

The feed displays okay in a firefox browser window. When I run it thru the W3C validator it validates but with the warning:

Feeds should not be served with the "text/rdf" media type

Is this what's causing the problem? If so, is this the way we want it to work. I'm okay if it is, I just want to understand what the standards are.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Likewise with this url:

The validator validates it but gives warnings for a couple of quot;'s. They should be " 's ?? However the message is that a valid feed can't be found.

If this is the intended result perhaps we should have a readme that says, "take your proposed feed and run it thru the validator at:

If there are any warnings, the feed probably will not work for Ravennuke and you should send them (the warnings) on to the site for further action"

Or something Smile ...

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
The new version solves the problems with Velonews I reported. However for this url:

I get "A feed could not be found at http://www.kde.org/dotkdeorg.rdf " message.

The feed displays okay in a firefox browser window. When I run it thru the W3C validator it validates but with the warning:

Feeds should not be served with the "text/rdf" media type

Is this what's causing the problem? If so, is this the way we want it to work. I'm okay if it is, I just want to understand what the standards are.

I had no problems with this feed on my RN 2.2 test site.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
Likewise with this url:

The validator validates it but gives warnings for a couple of quot;'s. They should be " 's ?? However the message is that a valid feed can't be found.

If this is the intended result perhaps we should have a readme that says, "take your proposed feed and run it thru the validator at:

If there are any warnings, the feed probably will not work for Ravennuke and you should send them (the warnings) on to the site for further action"

Or something Smile ...

Had no problems with this one either. Basically, I agree it would be nice for the blocks administration function to check the feed before adding it, and display a warning if it cannot. But, there are so many more important improvements to blocks admin, IMO.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Oops. Spoke too soon. I was testing Simple 1.0.1. I did get this error when testing with SimplePie 1.1.1.

Let me check, but that doesn't change my previous statement.

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with feeds Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. The things I am posting about blocks improvements I realize can't be done for 2.20. I am just trying to get them on record for the future.

The other stuff such as an apparently good feed not being accepted I am just passing on in case it is something you think can and should be fixed for 2.20.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Page 3 of 4

Jump to: