nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

An update...

Much of this week was spent working on supporting bbcode in the forums class. Man, what a pain! That's working now, but I noticed some compliance issues. After tweaking it a while, I gave up - nukeFEED simply can't correct compliance issues generated by the modules it supports.

Next, I noticed that many of the graphics (including smilies in forum posts and pictures in news articles) used relative links. Since nukeFEED syndicates HTML, it needs absolute URLs. So, I did some research and found several functions to address that (one actually worked in several scenarios, including where nukeURL had and did not have an ending slash).

So, a week's delay, but well worth it in the end.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Not a problem Smile
Thanks for keeping the community up to date on this invaluable module.

boogywoogy
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Hi,

All this looks great and sound great Very Happy .. honestly speaking i searched lots of places for a module like this without any success - wont mind waiting a few months even to get my hands on it..

Just one off-beat suggestion - is there any way we can push an text advertisement in the feed? Say AdSense or similar Textual ads? May be you can incorporate in next release or something if possible.. that will help the publishers generate little revenue also with the help of that module. With an On/Off Switch perhaps..

Regards

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Quote:
is there any way we can push an text advertisement in the feed?

Might want to check the AdSense terms of service as I am not sure this would be allowed. I remember reading somewhere that you were not to use within emails and a feed might be considered the same way. Don't know for sure, but Google is pretty heavy-handed so do your due diligence.

montego

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

BTW, kguske, while researching SQL injection vulnerabilities (addslashes vs. mysql_real_escape_string) I ran into some good links on Unicode and encodings:

http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
http://www.utf-8.com/

Really the first one just explains it really, really well. "Down to Earth" so to speak. Since XML should be UTF-8 encoded, I thought these might help (in light of earlier "discussions"). But, you are probably way beyond these by now as I see you are using "International PHP Magazine" now in your block on the left and I am guessing it is for the main purpose of testing encoding issues... Wink

Regardless, others may find the above interesting.

boogywoogy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Montego, I suggested that because Google at one time was planning to include Ads in RSS and it is/was called "AdSense for feeds" which is/was in Beta Phase. But that was a solution that is supposed to come from their side i believe.

I am writing "is/was" because i do not know the status of it. But trying to search for it i came across these links on the same:

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

So it looks like they do intend to launch it at a certain point of time from their side only.

But as you said one should go through the TOS before trying to incorporate the ads.

Anyway i feel Adsense or Any Other Textual/Button Image ads if we can deliver along with the feeds it can create some additional revenue opportunity for the publishers.. Very Happy

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Montego, thanks for the links! I'll check it out.

boogywoogy and Guardian, you may be in luck - especially if you are interested in Google Adsense. Not sure you know this, but Google recently acquired Feedburner.com, in what many see as a confirmation of the importance of syndication. Feedburner already had some ad features, and we can surely expect more from Google. Google already made many of the premium features of Feedburner free. You should definitely get a Feedburner account - I'm already planning integration with nukeFEED, but I'm not sure if it will make the first release...

Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Yes, I got my feedburner account as soon as I saw Google were taking the reins in anticipation of the very thing that boogywoogy mentioned - adsense or other advetising as part of the feed.

You know my thoughts on this already (ads / feeds) but it is reassuring you still have your finger on the pulse Smile

I'll try and review the various links posted here.

boogywoogy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

kguske thanks for that great lead.. I also created an account and going through their services and I am quite surprised lots of features they have made free than i saw in my last visit (As long as it stays free!).

What i understand of it is - instead of subscribing to my feed directly visitors have to subscribe to my feed through feedburners links - and where feedburner is giving lots of options and may be advertising opportunity too (Yet to go through their full service options)..and yes if you can create a bridge between the two it will be very powerful feature...but then if we are using feedburners link i believe you should also have some option of incorporating the feedburner cooked links into that block/module you are planning for displaying the nukeFEED rss links

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Basically, you would configure your feedburner account, specify the feedburner link (you can use your own branding for free now), and all your nukeFEED links would go through feedburner. It doesn't change how nukeFEED works, but gives you less demand since feedburner caches it and give you feedburner's tracking. Basically, there is no downside to using feedburner. You can even make money on your feeds through feedburner and, I'm presuming, expand your search range by having feeds published there. Again, it doesn't change nukeFEED at all, just gives you all the benefits...

montego

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Definitely glad you have this so well in hand. I had been "tainted" by my bad experience with Google's heavy-handiness with AdSense that I cringe every time I hear Google and Ads in the same breath.

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Not so sure I have it well in hand Smile

The first article was informative, but seems to suggest that we simply replace ISO-8859-1 with utf-8 (which I've done on a test site with no real change). Yes, I understand that it must be UTF on the output XML - just trying to get rid of the special character error when importing international PHP feeds...

montego

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Are you using the standard PHP string functions to manipulate the data or are you using the multi-byte ones? I think ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 are interchangeable only in the 0 - 127 ASCII byte range. It sounded to me like any string manipulation with characters 128 and beyond might cause issues? (I know that I am not talking pure "unicode" here... trying to relate more to us ASCII folks - lol.)

Unfortunately, I am in a massive learning phase with multi-characterset and encoding support. Having PHP designed for ISO-8859-1 doesn't help! Sad There were some good articles linked to through the first article posted above which talks about PHP6 and better unicode support.

Wish I knew better how to help. Sad

Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

GIGO - no matter what you do, there may always be issues with some feeds. I'll admit I don't fully understand those articles but it seems even UTF-8 and UTF-16 are not foolproof though they seem to be saying that is as good as we can get it right now.
It is certainly a very interesting topc and contains a wealth of information but I think I'd need several months to digest it properly.

montego

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Yet another "GEM" of an article:

http://www.nicknettleton.com/zine/php/php-utf-8-cheatsheet

I am thinking we might want to convert RavenNuke to UTF-8. Sure seems to be where we need to be and would offer better support for some of the better / newer add-ons (Gallery2?).

I know that Steph has done it. The only part of it that concerns me is any binary data manipulation. I don't have that "rock solid" in my mind yet. But, can't remember if there really is anything like that in RN. I'll ask the question of this in nukeWYSIWYG on a related topic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeFEED (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Page 3 of 4

Jump to: