nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Here's a quick preview of the boxover version with just 1 subscription link (Add to Google) showing with default colors. You can also see a link for the feed list. It shows the feed title and description, but I might remove the description from the block version. I'll work on the DHTML version. The problem with boxover version is that you click the Subscribe text (it's not a link, but could be a button), then if you move off the popup, you have to click again to select. That won't happen with the DHTML version.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Here's a DHTML version:

BoxOver vs. DHTML:

Similaries:
compliant
require CSS changes

DHTML advantages:
doesn't require JS in HEAD section
degrades if JS disabled / blocked
links are regular HTML (not that you care about links to subscription sites), vs. in a link title tag (some search engines limit length of titles tags, but again, who cares about links to subscription sites?)

BoxOver advantages:
popup (not blockable) doesn't move contents on page

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

I am leaning towards DHTML, the alignment is much better and it looks like it has more of an advantage over the BoxOver - i.e. easier for installation as no extra jaba stuff required

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Actually, DHTML requires CSS changes, while BoxOver does not, so if you're already loading BoxOver for other reasons (and you would be for the help on the admin pages), it might be easier to install. And, we could change the alignment, too. I centered it on the popup, but not on the DHTML - do you like the left align better?

The user interface really makes the difference. If I can make the DHTML interface work like a link (and I think that's possible), that might sway a decision towards DHTML. I'll also look into inline CSS to remove the required CSS change (or required my_header change), although I'm not as sure about that.

Thanks for the quick feedback, Guardian! Any others?

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

I can go either way BoxOver vs. DHTML. It sounds like BoxOver is easier to install and produces the same result, so I am on the fence leaning to that side. Laughing

Of course, if SE indexing is really that important for this, than DHTML is out and also if we're still concerned that some will have javascript disabled, again, DHTML is out. Now I am almost falling off the fence as I am leaning really far over on the BoxOver side. Wink

Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Seeing as BoxOver will already be included - it's used in the admin area from what you have said, then it might be better to stick with BoxOver.

I was under the impression that BoxOver requires js so if it is blocked at the browser, does it fall over completely or is there some default display setting?

DHTML collapsing menu's are normally fully open but use js to make it collapsible.

Yes I prefer the left aligned look purely on the basis that, using centered looks messy (to me) if the images are of different widths. Perhaps it's the German blood in me rising to the surface that keeps saying "structured, ordered" or maybe the guy that taught me when I was doing CRBN Seminars with his constant "presentation, presentation, presentation".
Hmm, need to give my head a rest, too many voices Wink

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Guardian has a pretty convincing point. If js is blocked, BoxOver won't work. You'll still see the raw html as a title tag, but it won't be usable for links.

SO, if I can make the CSS inline...

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

CSS is inline - no my_header changes required for that.

There will be some simple my_header changes required for using AJAX functions on the admin page and for LINK tags in the HEAD section to get live bookmarks (see example below).

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

And an update to the subscription list, which uses DHTML, shows everything even if JS blocked, shows links in a clean way without moving the screen as much as having it in a column:

Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Wow, thats looking mighty fine Smile

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Here's a preview of a feed preview Smile. The text below the feed name is the feed description, and you can use CSS to control how it's displayed (it generates an HTML version of the feed using the same function that generates RSS, ATOM and other formats. Question - for forums, should it show recent forum posts (as shown below) or recent topics (as the common blocks use)?:

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Just realized I should probably add bbcode conversion to HTML to the Forums class...

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Just realized I should probably add bbcode conversion to HTML to the Forums class...

Yeah I noticed that too Smile
I wouldn't even like to guess which of the forum options would be better 'latest posts versus latest topics' I think everyone might have a difference of opinion on that one.
A slow site might be better with latest topics as it will show up new threads but a busier site which may have more contributions to each thread (topic) may prefer to have the latest posts.

Playing devils advocate if it had to be one or the other I would probably play safe and suggest latest posts as this will show new 'content' regardless of whether a new topic is started or not.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Sorry, guys, I thought Kguske has said BoxOver was strictly title tag based. Although I have not had time to really digest the above, it is looking really good!

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Obviously, the screen above uses posts. I think most sites would prefer topics, so I'll switch it to that. Other than adding the help text and additional content classes (so far, only news and forums), it's almost ready to test. I need to do some code clean up, too, but that's mostly in the content classes. Guardian and montego will probably receive the first test copies this weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeFEED (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Page 2 of 4

Jump to: