nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help with Installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehiphop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Please Help with Installation Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Wondering if it were possible to ask you a question regarding the installation of NukeSEO.

It seems that I've followed what seems to be some fairly easy to undersstand installation instructions, unzip, upload to directories, set permissions on meta.php and meta2.php, log-in as admin, click the nukeSEO icon, click on configure... now what?

It seems that the only thing that is happenning is the resulting page asks me to select which modules to disable, witha drop down menu and disable button. Nothing else.

So I check the sitemap module which was activated following clicking the configure link as admin, and nothing there.

Just a blank page.

Now, Ive taken the liberty of reviewing all the forums covering this and still seem to be left with the same question.

Further, Ive checked the database tables and find the table that was created for this is unpopulated and empty.

Im not sure what Ive done incorrectly, and have even verified that my installation of nuke has the latest patches referred to in posts.

Please help.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Help with Installation Reply with quote

The column heading for configure has to do with the site map. Basically, you turn off the modules in the list that you don't want to include in the sitemap.

If the sitemap is blank, most likely the patch level is incorrect. But we have see other issues. What database are you using? Is your database user authorized to create temporary tables?

ehiphop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Help with Installation Reply with quote

MySQL, current apache version, Im not 100% sure, but I was in fact able to create one of the required tables which was "nuke_seomodules". I'm guessing my access level is sufficient, has never been an issue with any other module installation to date either.

I see that there are a few others who have asked about this question in the forum are left with the same sort of non-committal answer.

Can you please explain to me, what step, "What action" causes the table creation and what are the table names? Because all I'm getting is one table "nuke_seomodules", empty.

And what if any remedy has been discovered to overcome this issue?

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Help with Installation Reply with quote

MySQL is required because the sitemap uses MySQL-specific syntax to generate a temporary table. Some (very few that we've seen) web hosts consider the ability to create temporary tables a security risk and do not allow this function to their customers. Temporary tables are not visible via tools like phpMyAdmin as they only exist for the duration of the script that uses them, and they are only available to that instance of the script. Multiple users can create unique temporary tables at the same time.

To my knowledge, the only other addon that uses this approach is mSearch (on which that part of nukeSEO is based). So, if you are able to use mSearch, we can rule out that as a possibility. If you're not using mSearch, you can verify this by asking your host or by trying to execute an SQL command like:
Code:
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE nuke_temp (

`id` VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL ,
                `relevance` INT NOT NULL ,
                `date` INT NOT NULL ,
                `title` TEXT NOT NULL ,
                `rid` INT NOT NULL ,
                `desc` TEXT NOT NULL ,
                `author` TEXT NOT NULL ,
                `searchmodule` TEXT NOT NULL ,
                INDEX ( `relevance` ),
                INDEX ( `date` )
                )
You might also be able to verify this by checking your error log or by turning on the PHP display_errors variable. Probably the easiest way to verify this is to see if the CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES priviledge is available on the Add Users To Your Databases function in your MySQL Account Maintenance function in cPanel.

Remedy (config.php database user doesn't have authority to create tables): grant this access to the database user.

Remedy (host doesn't allow access to this function): request that the host upgrade MySQL and / or allow this access since the security issue associated with temporary tables was resolved long ago.

Regarding the patch update, if you look at the code in modules/Sitemap/index.php, you'll find this:
Code:
if(!defined('MODULE_FILE')) { header("Location: ../../index.php");  die(); }

This approach is designed to ensure that a visitor doesn't try to access the file directly, and requires that the patch level 2.9 (I believe) or higher is in place. If the variable MODULE_FILE isn't defined (typically in the modules.php file), the script will try to redirect to the index page before stopping. It should result in a page not found error, rather than a blank page, but a blank page is possible.

Remedy: Add the definition statement for MODULE_FILE defined in the 2.9 patch to your modules.php file.

If these things don't explain the blank page, please post or pm a link to your site so I can take a look. I frequently obtain temporary FTP accounts on users' site to help diagnose and resolve problems, and would be happy to commit to assisting you in this manner. Thus far, the only issue we haven't been able to resolve involved a web host who did not allow temporary tables.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Help with Installation Reply with quote

One other reason I thought of that might cause a blank page:

An extra file or a duplicate class defined in copied file in the modules/Sitemap/content directory. One visitor posted a message about having this problem when his FTP client created a file in that directory.

Remedy: Remove the extra file.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: