nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Description can not handle punctuation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

If an apostrophy is needed in the description meta tag such as "Jake's Homepage" you will find that the " 's " bugs the whole system. In english " 's " is used to describe ownership (Jake's Homepage means that the homepage belongs to Jake) so it is a very important thing to be able to use. I've tried Jake\'s Homepage but that only makes it worse. Somewhere there needs to be addslashes() and stripslashes() added to the php code.

Also when you hit save on the meta tag editing screen meta.php jumps from around 43 lines to something like 3063 lines. It would be nice if all that blank space wasn't added to the file.

Might be nice to test your product before releasing your code...

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

I was aware of the special character issue, and it will be addressed in the next release.

But I haven't seen any problems with blanks on the meta.php file. Did you modify the meta.php file before using the meta tag editor (which, by the way, was not modified from it's original tool, only integrated into nukeSEO with additional features for SEO)?

Might be nice to appreciate that this is free software. Show me your list of free "products," then we'll talk about testing.

fivelow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

Nothing was modified before nor has anything been modified since. Not my job to fix your code. I've since noticed that meta2.php has the same problem.

I can't understand why you don't care if you product works. Seems like a really bad attitude in a programmer. Glad I don't work at the company you work at. Does anything at all get done? Or function?

I can see why your software is free. If something doesn't work it is of no value to anyone.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

I never asked you to "fix" any code. I simply asked if your meta.php file was standard before you edited it with nukeSEO. The meta2.php gets saved from your original meta.php file as a backup when you save your meta tags. It doesn't change anything other than the meta tags and add a comment, so if there were spaces there BEFORE, they will be there AFTER. The fact that your meta2.php has space tells me that you either saved it more than once or that the original meta.php file had spaces. Since no one has reported that (and I haven't experienced during testing), I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with the previous meta.php before investigating further.

Furthermore, words with special characters are considered stop words by search engines - so it's actually not a good idea to use them in your description. But I'm sure you knew that...

If you look in these forums, you will see that your assumption regarding whether or not I care about supporting nukeSEO is also incorrect. I am happy to address all issues with anything I've done, and go above and beyond to help support what others have done, too (take a look at RavenPHPScripts.com for further evidence). Exactly what have you done to help anyone other that post a nasty message about your little problem?

Since YOU seem to believe that you can get others to do things you need by attacking and insulting, I'd have to question who has the bad attitude - or, more appropriate, unrealistic expectations.

As for the value of the software, you are wrong once again! Hundreds of people use it correctly and without problem and have been since it was released - as a BETA version. Did you MISS the BETA part when you downloaded it? If it doesn't work for you in the timeframe you need, you are FREE to fix it, look for a better alternative or develop one yourself. That's the beauty of open source. The beauty of the GPL license is that there is NO WARRANTY.

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

Troll alert.... troll alert....troll alert....

Seen the likes of him before. Not worth giving such a pleasant and straight forward AND professional, I might add, response! I'd work for your company any day if it wasn't where it is... I have an aversion to natural disasters. Wink

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

Know what you mean...hurricane season is upon us. Real hurricanes I can deal with, those that come from a mouth or a keyboard, well that's a different story. Laughing

One point to correct - the apostrophe doesn't make it a stop word per se, but it does diminish the importance of the word with the apostrophe for some search engines that view words with hyphens and apostrophes with lesser value. Thus the focus would be on the subsequent word, which, like homepage in the example above, tend to be fairly common words that are difficult to secure rankings. Some engines ignore special characters altogether, others don't.

Still, the point is well taken - some search engines use the description in the results. So the META tag editor should be able to handle special characters, and I'll add it to the list for the official release (or sooner, if possible).

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Description can not handle punctuation. Reply with quote

I am gobsmacked that an individual seeking help can behave in such a manner.
What is it with people that want everything, want it for free, want free support, want free advice and then have the cheek to complain?

If you go to a pub and the landlord gives you a free pint (but the head is flat) do you complain? Me, I would ask if there were any more then after 10 free pints, fix the pump.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: