nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarification about data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAdams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Clarification about data Reply with quote

I am not 100 sure my install is working.

Where I am uncertain is with the (attached) following table. Is this the blacklist? The table has no description, but aside from that I get hit often by spammers and the table is still unpopulated. How can I verify that the spammers will be added to the database, and show up in the list if my assumption of its purpose is correct?

What appears to be functioning correctly:

I have used a spammers info to test (Check Username, Email and or IP), and it reports:

Quote:
Results: ERROR: Your registration has been blocked by our spam filter. If you feel this is incorrect, please contact the site administrator for resolution: admin@domain.com

I have signed up at stopforumspam and applied for and entered the API as directed so this is in working order. I added my name to the whitelist and it appears in the table as expected.

My apologies for dumb questions Embarassed And the max of 300 wide for images yields an unusable image I am afraid.

Thank you!

spasticdonkey
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know kguske has been real busy lately, and unfortunately I'm not real familiar with nukeSPAM yet or I would try to help.

Also, you are right, it is pretty hard to tell anything from those screenshots.

When you say you get hit often by spammers, what do you mean? They are registering alot? posting spam in comments?

TAdams

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spasticdonkey,

They try and register at the site consistently Sad . Like daily with a pretty obvious pattern in both names as well as email addresses. I have updated my .htaccess blocked IP range lists, but that does not last for long. Then I end up having to "Deny" the spammers on a regular basis due to repeated attempts.

I thought I would give this a shot and see how it deals with users attempting to register and perhaps save me some work. What I am assuming the page is that I am looking at, is a list that would be populated by spammers that have been successfully caught and blocked by NukeSpam.

To see the page that I posted an image to, it is located at: http://www.yoursitename.com/modules.php?name=nukeSPAM

I thought I would add that here in this post so as not to confuse it (or think that I am confused by) the whitelist page that looks very similar located at: http://www.yoursitename.com/admin.php?op=nukeSPAMWL

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that page is only populated if:
Log spam results to database = YES

the default setting is NO.

BTW, are you using the RavenNuke with this?

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the max image size - I'll look into that, but you can also display an image from another site without that limitation, I believe. Base on the URL of the image, that is the list of BLOCKED registrations in the database (i.e. it could still be working if you aren't logging blocked registrations to the database). Although it looks the same, it is almost the opposite of the whitelisted page in your second link (admin.php?op=nukeSPAMWL).

Anyway, if something isn't block by registration, but is blocked when you test it, check these settings (please confirm if you're using RavenNuke 2.5 and if there are any modifications to your registration / Your Account module):
- Identify as spam if should be set to Any one of username, IP, Email is listed
- Use nukeSPAMâ„¢ to block spammer registration should be set to Yes
- Log spam results to database - turning this to Yes helps reduce server load and spam database
usage since it checks the database first. But it isn't required (i.e. if it's off and everything else is set correctly, it will simply check the spam databases every time)
- Spam Database Key are defined - but if that wasn't the case, you wouldn't be able to test
- Remove all entries from the whitelist (admin.php?op=nukeSPAMWL)

Finally, it's possible that the spam database may have been down, but I believe it might stop registration in that case (don't remember). But it would be rare that they are all down and all miss known spammers at the same time, and I am not aware of other sites seeing an increase in successful spammer registrations, though that is possible.

TAdams

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Spasticdonkey,

I do have that option set. I will keep my eye on it as it is possible that the .htaccess edits are preventing the ip ranges they are using. And yes, I am using RN, I was on 2.40.01 and just last night updated to the latest 2.50.00 along with completing some theme edits.

I could wipe the .htacess edits temporarily, that would surely increase traffic lol

Edit: Sorry I posted before I realized kguske had replied Smile I will reply below to his comments and suggestions in a moment. And thank you both, I appreciate it greatly!

Ok here are my current settings.

http://home.comcast.net/~thomashadams/nukeSEO/Settings.pdf

I have tested and it shows a block, for instance.

So as far as I can tell I have had everything set up correctly. I also double checked the edits to files as per read me, and I do not have any other custom edits. I will see if my wife can test it out. Perhaps removing the .htaccess ip range blocks will speed up testing. I just am looking to confirm it is working and recording the data at this point. Sorry for being a pita Smile

Thank you again!

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kguske will really be able to help you better, but I did have a couple of questions that might help expedite things. How many registrations are we talking about? Do you think it is a human manually registering or is it a dozen at a time? Is there any common factor about the registrations? email domain? links? Are they profile spammers (registering just to put links in their profile, pretty common these days)

On a side note, there are a couple additional measures you could take to help remove some of the incentive. Nuken has a mod to ban people posting known profile spam links
http://trickedoutnews.com/article133.html

and I put together a mod to hide sigs and website links until the user has 5 forum posts.
http://web-cms-designs.com/cms-17-profile-and-signature-spam-control-for-ravennuke.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSPAM (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: