nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nukeNAV(tm) prototype feedback
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: nukeNAV(tm) prototype feedback Reply with quote

What are your thoughts and suggestions on the nukeNAV(tm) prototype?

For example, should the Your Account menu display login and register options if a visitor isn't logged in as a member?

What other changes, improvements would you like?

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuggghh... I missed it. I'll download it this week and take a look.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed the news post etc and I'm really peeved I wasn't on this like a bad rash two seconds after it was posted.
I will download it first thing tomorrow and get back to you - this is the perfect excuse for me to start active again Smile

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify - nothing to download - just view the flash in the news story to see it in action.

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I had a shave and even washed behind my ears so I was 'worthy' to download this and try it - no download? Ouch!

I think the menu displaying Register / Log-In / Your Account as appropriate would be a nice touch, just not sure if the bang is worth the buck. Not even sure how much additional code would be required to read the users cookie to determine which text/link to display but....... you must already be doing something like any way??

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it already looks for both users and for admins to control certain things.

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed one of the links under admin as 'xxx' so I would assume you might have some additional functionality in there already to either add links manually (hard coded) or possibly via a control panel in a future version.

Looks really nice and is certainly what I had in mind for a header type menu when it was discussed here in another thread.
I also like what you have done for the modules 'block' menu too, that is really groovy and exactly how it should have been years ago as the standard core block.
Loving it but..........
You know I'm going to bug you every day now till I can get my hands on it.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct - the XXX is hardcoded (just because that whole section is hardcoded at the moment and I wanted to leave a placeholder).

One of the biggest benefits isn't visible: the modules block no longer updates (i.e. inserts, inactivates or deletes) records in the modules table. For high-volume sites, that could be very significant. Of course, we'll need to make sure the modules admin function has the ability to refresh that table when necessary (when adding a module, it's always necessary to activate it anyway - no need to check for new modules on every page refresh!!).

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think we already have that in place, at least within RN.
If I remember correctly there was an 'update' routine in several places in the original *nuke code (the block file, modules.php and admin.php ??) which was way over the top. I think it was the code from modules.php which was stripped out because virtually every module uses it and it was already getting updated in the block file.

Personally I prefer to only have an update run via admin.php as that *should* be the only place block and module permissions should change.

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we there yet? lol

montego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely awesome! Some questions / comments:

1) Is it aware of all the various settings for security such as anonymous vs. registered vs. points vs. groups vs. admin?

2) It would be really kick-a__ if we could somehow incorporate with the Sommaire data model and admin which would also allow hierarchical sub-menus and pretty much any positioning one would desire.

3) Is the main menu categories configurable? For example, what if one would want News, Forums and Downloads across the top?

4) Can the order in which these categories show lrt (or rtl for languages east of Jerusalem...) be configured?

5) What happens if there is a banner up at the top? I suspect that would just have to be controlled by the theme code.

6) I am curious as to what the search engine crawler view of the HTML page would look like.

I know... many of these are pretty "loaded".

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. For modules, yes. It uses the same SQL that the modules block uses.
2. I have a data model for supporting unlimited menus - and plans to make it much better to design the menus. But the initial release is intended for use with nukeSEO DH, so the fancy stuff will have to wait.
3. By default, News and Forums will be across the top, if active. See # 2.
4. No, but I'll look into that.
5. Right - it depends on where you put it in the theme.
6. Not sure - the appearance is controlled by CSS. I will do a test...

montego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff sir. I still want to pick your brain as to how you find the time... Wink

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M asked all but one question I had.
Just trying to get a 'feel' for adaptability here, not asking you to do a re-design.....
Is it feasable to add the menu code to header.php instead of within the theme?
I'm just thinking out loud that if it was in header.php it could 'detect' the current theme and load the appropriate style sheet for the menu to match the theme. I guess it depends if the CSS it requires has to be added to an existing theme CSS or detects MyTheme/styles/menu.css

I'm thinking you probably chose theme based initiation of the menu to ensure dependencies were already loaded, like JS, detecting user status plus whatever requirement it needs for nukeSEO DH etc.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the generation code is in the header - but since the only output there is within the HEAD tags, it can't be output there (at least not in a compliant way), so it's kept in a variable that is added to the theme. And, as you guessed, it detects the theme and uses a theme-specific CSS file, if it exists, or a default CSS, if not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeNAV (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Page 1 of 3

Jump to: