nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erecpr
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

hi, the title says it all, i have a phpnuke site and when google tries to crawl just picks up the message that my page shows when you dont have access to the module, so i have 400+ indexed pages and the only pages that it can crawl are the forums and some other modules without importance.

thanks.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

Hi. Just curious, why are the modules protected if you want Google to crawl them?

erecpr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

they are protected to registered members only, there are videos, and classifields, they has to be protected because only members can submit videos or post classifields.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

OK, so if you were to change the code somehow to allow Google or other search engines to crawl this, you would do so by IP address or by the fact that crawlers don't use javascr1pt. Either way, you would be opening up the restricted content to everyone because anyone could spoof Google's IP address or block JS.

erecpr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

do you know how to do that? bcause i dont.

thanks

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

Well, but you are going to frustrate a ton of people by having them land on your site and then be hit with a "That module is not active" message. I certainly would say "Next..." if that happened to me... Just giving you something to consider.

erecpr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

thats true, but the thing is that google is not indexing the pages and my page offers videos that i shoot myself of cars, street racing and souch, most people register to see a video that isnt in any other site because is a project of my page.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

And then take that the next step further... so, you start having the search engines crawl your site, but then when people click on a SE link, they are faced with the "You are trying to access a restricted area" message. That would be a complete turn-off to me and I'd move on to the next link. Your choice of course, but then why force registration then?

erecpr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

registration on a phpnuke site takes like 30 seconds, just username, email and password. Is there any way that google can crawl the pages or not?

montego

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

Respectfully, I still would not register, as these kinds of games do not sit well with me, either its open and available or its not, and when I click a link from a SE, I expect to have instant gratification. You just need to realize that others may not too.

kguske gave you the idea of what could be done, but quite frankly, I wouldn't have the time to try and code this for you. If you are familiar with PHP and mySQL you could potentially modify modules.php to also check for an IP range. The code (for RavenNuke anyway), would be around here:

Code:

$canView = ($view == 0) ||                               // all visitors
               ($view == 1 && isset($user) &&                        // registered user and
                  ($mod_group <= 0 || is_group($user, $name))) ||    //   (no points needed OR user has points)
               (isset($admin) && is_admin($admin)) ||                // is admin
               ($view == 3 && paid()) ||                             // paid subscriber
               ($view >= 4 && in_groups($groups));                   // NSN Groups user

if ($canView) {
               include_once($modpath);
            } else {
               $pagetitle = '- '._RESTRICTEDAREA;
               include_once('header.php');
               OpenTable();
               echo '<center><b>'._RESTRICTEDAREA.'</b></center><br />';
               echo '<center>'._GOBACK.'</center>';
               CloseTable();
               include_once('footer.php');
               die();
            }

Sorry, but I don't have the time to code it for you.

Good luck.

erecpr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

you see, i think you dont like that im doing this, thats why i think ur not tellig me, but hey thankyou anyway for your reply. U see I use registration as a form of protection as in the main page of my site says that by registering youre accepting the terms and conditions, as my page contains street racing videos.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

I'm confused... I did tell you what needed to be done and montego did point you in the direction as to how. It isn't a questions of what we like, simply that in our experience, this would cause more problems than it would solve.

montego is simply saying, and I absolutely agree and have basically said the same thing: here's what you need to do, here's where it needs to happen, and you are free to use that approach if you like, but we don't want to invest time in further developing that as we don't believe it will be worthwhile.

erecpr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

i dont know where to start or what to edit in that part that he pointed to, as i dont have the ability in php code, but if one of you have the time to help me later when you can, it would be apreciated.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

There is absolutely no value in having links indexed if they are not for the general public.
You would be much better of creating plain html pages for each of your video's for the search engines to crawl to learn about the videos (just do not embed the video itself) and then put a link in to where they can register.
This would allow Google to get *some* information without anyone following a link to a dead page.

If you really insist on having Google crawl protected area's on your site, it can be done without touching any code whatsoever. If you would agree the information is worth, say $10 and you would be willing to make a donation to this site or Montego's site I will give you the information.

montego

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Google cant crawl my phpnuke protected modules Reply with quote

Guardian wrote:
it can be done without touching any code whatsoever.

Ok, now you have peaked my interest, not from a concept perspective because I still do not agree with it, but from a technical one... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: