nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nukeFEED and International Special Characters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spasticdonkey
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

First off have to say nukeFEED is a work of art! Nice feedburner integration and features too! Have tried the feeds out in many different readers and they come accross quite nicely Smile

Only problem I've had is the use of some international special characters by some users from Europe and Asia, in our forums... The ones that look like the apostrophe and the dash have been most common... For the most part, the same ones that will give you the "ASCII value greater than 127" error if used in html.

Anything I can do to strip these characters?
(I've been doing some hand editing of posts lately) Embarassed

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

Thanks...

Re: the special characters, we tested it on Susann's site with lots of funky German characters (but possibly not on all content types). Can you point me to some examples?

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

Of course I edited the original problems, but will hold onto any more that occur. It took a few attempts, but I did manage to break one feed with a post in German (and English) from wikipedia. The feed would validate sometimes and other times not, so I included some examples below... also not sure how long I want the feed "broken" so I will leave it for awhile, but eventually need to fix Smile

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http://feeds.feedburner.com/KmaInternetAndTechnology-KmaClanAxisAndAlliesCompanyOfHeroesBf2

Examples

Swedish in Sweden is considered the "main language" and is used as the primary language used in local and state government, but not legally recognised as an official language. A bill was proposed in 2005 that would have made Swedish an official language, but failed to pass by the narrowest possible margin (145–147) due to a pairing-off failure.[14]

line 17, column 322: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x96 in position 1074: unexpected code byte (maybe a high-bit character?)

I believe that one is &#151 and looks like a dash

and in German...

Polen (amtlich polnisch Rzeczpospolita Polska) ist ein Staat in Mitteleuropa. Das Land grenzt im Norden an die russische Exklave Kaliningrad (210 km) und an Litauen (103 km), im Osten an Weißrussland (416 km) und die Ukraine (529 km), im Süden an die Slowakei (539 km) und Tschechien (790 km) sowie im Westen an Deutschland (467 km). Des Weiteren hat das Land eine 528 km lange Ostseeküste. Insgesamt sind Polens Grenzen 3.582 km lang. Die längste Nord-Süd-Ausdehnung beträgt 790 km, die längste Ost-West-Ausdehnung 680 km.

Polen ist Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union seit dem 1. Mai 2004 (siehe EU-Erweiterung 2004).

Der Name Polen kommt vom westslawischen Stamm der Polanen (pln. Polanie), die sich im 5. Jahrhundert im Gebiet der heutigen Wojewodschaft Großpolen um Posen (pln. Poznań) und Gnesen (pln. Gniezno), zwischen den Flüssen Oder und Weichsel, niederließen.

The one that has happened most often I believe is &#146 which looks like an apostrophe... as in Poland’s

It's kinda weird the feed comes back valid sometimes, and other times not, even though the feed content hadnt changed.. The feed previews still work fine, but when viewed in a reader, by javascript, widget, or "Headlines Animator" you run into problems. I made a page with all my headline animators from feedburner, found it to be easy way to see if they are all operating correctly.. If it says "Watch this space for future items" there is a problem... Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

Susann
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

I used your German text to publish a test news and it validates well with these umlauts like ä,ß,ü and apostroph.Its a valid Atom 1.0 feed and a valid RSS feed. I don´t have question marks for these characters like you :

description=[CDATA[Polen (amtlich polnisch Rzeczpospolita Polska) ist ein Staat in Mitteleuropa. Das Land grenzt im Norden an die russische Exklave Kaliningrad (210 km) und an Litauen (103 km), im Osten an Weißrussland (416 km) und die Ukraine (529 km), im Süden an die Slowakei (539 km) und Tschechien (790 km) sowie im Westen an Deutschland (467 km). Des Weiteren hat das Land eine 528 km lange Ostseeküste. Insgesamt sind Polens Grenzen 3.582 km lang. Die längste Nord-Süd-Ausdehnung beträgt 790 km, die längste Ost-West-Ausdehnung 680 km.

Polen ist Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union seit dem 1. Mai 2004 (siehe EU-Erweiterung 2004).

Der Name Polen kommt vom westslawischen Stamm der Polanen (pln. Polanie), die sich im 5. Jahrhundert im Gebiet der heutigen Wojewodschaft Großpolen um Posen (pln. Poznań) und Gnesen (pln. Gniezno), zwischen den Flüssen Oder und Weichsel, niederließen. ]]>

The current settings in rnconfig I use for my testsite are:
nf_CONVERTENCODING is set to true

However, I always try to not use apostrophs because I found this can cause sometimes issues in my forums and within e-mails notifications.

mburp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

I'm trying to set this up on a nuke platinum 7.6.b.4v2 install used as a Hungarian language site (ISO-8859-2) at http://www.mue.unitarius-halo.net/ . In keeping with current practice for many Hungarian sites, text stores in the MySQL database as ISO-8859-1, but displays correctly on the site as ISO-8859-2.

The feed now displays in ISO-8859-1 on the new backend.php; this means we get incorrect accents on two letters (Ű and Ő), which is better than the question marks we got with the original backend.php . Unfortunately, on the preview page the feed content displays in ISO-8859-1, but accented characters are replaced with question marks on the rest of the nuke page.

I tried setting nf_CONVERTENCODING to true in config.php as suggested in the instructions but it had no effect, although I wonder if this needs to be done differently than in raven nuke.

Any help will be appreciated.

Michael

Brujo
webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

i have a german side and also issues with Umlauts

in Feed Preview mode the content of the Preview Feed is OK, but for example on the left side i have the survey Block with Umlauts in Title & Content this umlauts are now show as Question mark, after leaving Feed Preview it is shown normally. I looked into the mysql Table and the Umlauts are there as öüä and so on, so i changed one to ä and after this at this entry it looks OK, but this cant be the solution...

i tried also nf_CONVERTENCODING false in the config and rn.config but without solving it.

ravennuke 2.10 (migrated from phpnuke 7.6)
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
mysql collation utf8_general_ci
charset=ISO-8859-1

any hint?

Brujo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

today i upgraded to RN2.20 but still the issue in preview mode that umlauts around the site are shown as Question mark .....

Is there any hint what i can check / do.....

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

There are so many different things that can affect that it's difficult to track. Does your theme use the UTF character set? Was your data stored before upgrading? (try recreating your data).

SimplePie comes with a nice function for converting between characters (from the feed to the site). At some point, I might try to use that in nukeFEED to go the other way, but that can always be impacted by the database (i.e. I'm not sure it's possible).

Brujo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

i realy dont wont to bother you but i like to get ride on it, even it seems RN will be have it included....

so i created a complete copie of my website for playing arround.

so thats my Starting Point.

some years old website with lot of stuff in...

ravennuke 2.20
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
mysql collation utf8_general_ci
charset=ISO-8859-1 (is i understand this is defined in the lang-german.php)
settings of the site: Language German, local timeformat de_DE

so where should i start to get ride of it?

and what i dont understand is "Does your theme use the UTF character set? "

Brujo

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: nukeFEED and International Special Characters Reply with quote

You answered it - it's defined the in the language file, though it's possible to override in a theme or other places (not common). The best way to confirm is to use the browser's View Source function while displaying the index page.

Let's try this - change one of the content items that shows strange characters - and replace it with the same content (as long as there is an update to the database with that content). After the update, if that item still shows with strange characters, change the nf_CONVERTENCODING back to true and test again.

Also, when you upgraded to RN 2.20, were any other changes made to the database (i.e. did the MySQL charset get changed)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeFEED (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: