nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nukePIE Beta test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Getting reports of invalid HTML characters when testing for XHTML Compliance.

Feed source is from: http://zoehaywood.com/blog/index.php?blog=2&tempskin=_rss2

and is displayed on my nukePIE block on the lower right side at www.code-authors.com

I do see some weirdness in the source such as
Quote:
& lt ; br /& gt
- I broke the ampersand away in case the forum tried to interpret it as html.
A search for 'Poland' in the page source will land you tight on the code if you want to take a look.
This is Beta 3 by the way

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Try the latest copy - there was a significant change that could affect that.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

It validated correctly on my RN 2.2 test site with nukePIE 1.0.

Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Dang I must have fallen asleep between beta 3.1 and version 1.0 - oops, sorry!

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Sleep? You get to do that? Wink

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Yes I get to sleep but not as often as I'd like with all this work coming in Sad
Sorry kguske, I have not even had the time to try the latest version yet but hopefully tomorrow...

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

I have now uploaded version 1.0
Cleared the site cache folder so the feed updated and still getting the invalid HTML character.
So I decided to delete the block, delete and re-create the cache folder in it's entirety.
Re-created the feed block and still the same invalid HTML character warning from FF.
The feed url itself passes feed validation on the third party site it is located on as does the page itself.
I did confirm the invalid HTML warning disappeared after deleting the block on my site so it seems it is the way my site is presenting the feed data rather than something wrong with the actual feed itself.

As a last resort, I even went back to my blog from where the feed originates and retyped all the titles 'just in case'.

The source on my CA site which has the block looks fine, I cannot see anything wrng with it at all - so I guess I will just have to live with as there is not much more I can do.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Same feed: http://zoehaywood.com/blog/index.php?blog=2&tempskin=_rss2 ?

When I run it on a local RN 2.2 test site, it validates via my browser tool (both SGML and Tidy). I don't have any descriptions to display - just headlines. It get the same thing when I run it through the demo at http://simplepie.org

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

It must be some sort of glitch kguske and nothing related to nukePIE.

I can see the error message in the bottom browser status bar in FF under "HTML TIDY result"
BUT if I validate the page using TIDY from the tools menu, it doesn't show the error message - I wish it did as it would help me track down where it *thinks* there was an error.
All a little frustrating Sad

I know I have other errors due to third party code I'm pulling in elsewhere on the site.

If you have a few seconds to spare, if you could pop over to my site www.code-authors.com and confirm/deny you are getting the invalid HTML message in the bottom status bar with FF when viewing the main index page that would be great!

Looks like it is just one of those *gremlins* - if TIDY reports an error in the status bar but doesn't show it when validating the page then it's obviously something screwy with the plug-in.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

OK I have found it!
For some reason when using the feed block it is affecting the admin (Waitiing News etc) part of menu block (block-modules.php) and it is changing the middot entity to an invalid character.

Actually, I think the admin part of the menu block is supposed to display a question mark not a middot so I'll dig some more.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

The search <form> for swicki has an invalid target attribute.

Also, just above the inline CSS for swicki, there is an empty script pair with an invalid language attribute.

I'm not sure why nukePIE brings these out as they appear to be completely unrelated as you suggested.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Susann found the same problem with middot. Change it to the html entity &middot;.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Doh! I need more coffee.
The 'administration' menu isn't in block-modules.php I think it's driven from mainfile

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately it's in mainfile. That limits the flexibility of it and begs for replacement (something I intend to do at some point by leveraging the content class concept that nukeFEED and nukeSEO use).

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: nukePIE Beta test Reply with quote

RESOLVED:
I had update the files to nukePIE 1.0 but failed to spot there had been a change to the file edit required for mainfile.

Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Please be gentle with me, I'm old and fragile Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: