nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird character formatting HTML option
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THoTH
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Great piece of code, I love it. If I have the boxover html function enabled,it works great all except where apostrophes are used. The same thing happens in my copy of myheadlines too.

"A sentence that contains apostrophes has it's problems.There's not an easy solution"

would read

"A sentence that contains apostrophes has it's problems. There's not a easy solution"

I'm guessing it may have something to do with GoogleTap or the shortlinks code.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

The problem with apostrophes shouldn't happen. What feed is it so I can test?

Also, can you check your error log?

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

I do not suspect it to be GT/ShortLinks related as the code does not encode the single quotes. It only attempts to clean up the & into & in the links.

montego

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Sorry for the two replies... unless you are seeing in the HTML/XML itself the following:

'

Let me know if you do... (and provide a link if you can so I can see).

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Agreed - that's why I asked for the error log.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

I found a problem that might be the same as what THoTH found. Looking into a solution...

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Problem SOLVED. SimplePie has a nice feature that allows conversion of character sets (it defaults to UTF-Cool. I modified it to convert to the charset defined in the language file and it worked beautifully!

I updated the download as Beta 3. I will update the RavenNuke SVN now.

montego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Bravo my friend!

THoTH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Sorry fellas, I just got out of hospital. For simplicity I'll download the latest beta and give that a try, and if I get the same result I'll post back. It was doing it with all feeds, and I'm not sure which error log you meant, the server one ?

Anyway, thanks so much for your troubles. Off I go to test the latest beta..

THoTH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Hi guys Sad

No luck I'm afraid, still doing the same despite the correction in the mainfile.php, I am guessing that's what the modification was to make sure the charset was set to iso etc.. ? Or should I update the lot, I'll try that too in case other files were amended.

This is one of the feeds it's not working with

http://feeds.feedburner.com/book-of-thoth/oddthings

I found something else unusual too, if I have the html setting as "false" then only 4 links are shown, if I set it to "true" about 20 are shown ? I'll set it back to false for now, but if you'd like me to set it to true so you can see it, let me know and we'll arrange a time to do that (I don't want to leave it in a bugged state you see).

Thanks again for all of your help.

P.S. Updated all files, and still getting the same result. When I view the feed in explorer it works ok. So I'm guessing the XML is ok.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Not sure if your feed is still cached from before the change...

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

I tested that feed on an RN test site, and it validated correctly. Is this a feed from the same site you're trying to display it on?

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

The validation is shown in the lower right corner of the browser - using both HTML Tidy and SGML Parser:

THoTH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

Thanks so much, yes that does look like it is working now. I've a feedburner issue though as, the links are coming back as http://feedburner.com/thoth/ftopic34.html etc (I made that one up) but thats definitely a feedburner problem.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, and thanks again for your help with this.

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weird character formatting HTML option Reply with quote

That might be a shortlinks issue. Are you using that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: