nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap Reply with quote

Kguske,

Got to thinking about this the other day. My site has GTNG, so most of my links are tapped. If I implement the Sitemap module, with the links untapped, would that create a no-no with Google and others where there are multiple, but different links (paths?) to get to the same page in the site? Will it look like I am trying to play games with internal linking and eventually cause issues with page ranking?

Appreciate your sound advice.

montego

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap Reply with quote

Now that is an excellent question!
I don't think there is a definite answer to that so I can only make my own response based on my own experimentations.
Google will index both url's (tapped and non tapped). What it does dislike, in common with the majority of bots is 'duplicated content' - this is not normally an issue unless you are deep linking or deliberately making a concerted effort to have lots and lots of links to the same content.

In cases where google recognises 'duplicate content', for the purposes if this post, that means the same page via 2 different url's the worst case scenario is that one of the two links will get dropped from the index.
As most bots are basically idle boogers they wil nearly always opt to keep 'the path of least resistance' which in this case means the tapped url will be kept (it is usually shorter and more 'friendly').

I have no ides what the 'trigger' level might be for google to recognise duplicated content but I *suspect* it is relatively high (several dozen).
As you know from the code-authors.php file you are using, it is possible to call duplicated content from the forums by altering the ending parameter, I have used that on my main site (before I rebuilt it) to create multiple links to forum posts without any ill effects whatsover.
Before the rebuild I had a PR5 site with an Alexa ranking of 92,000.
After the rebuild my PR has dropped and my Alexa ranking is much worse at about 1,200,000.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap Reply with quote

Guardian, so much appreciate it! I can now feel good about proceeding with nukeSEO without having to go through the effort of GT'ing it!

Thanks!

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap Reply with quote

Just FYI I am starting a 'guide' to SEO at Code Authors here - http://www.code-authors.com/forum-20.html
Hopefully I can build this into a generic 'what to do and what not to do' resource.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap Reply with quote

Sounds great, Guardian. I'd be happy to post it here - with direct links to your site, of course!

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: GTNG vs. Not for Sitemap Reply with quote

No problem, please feel free to copy it.
I'll also send you a 'feed' url too if you want to use that - as soon as I get the time Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: