nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parsing Error: xml declaration
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazzasan
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Having a problem guys and i cant figure it out.

I installed the latest Nuke Feeds and didnt have any issues ..

When i view the feed in the admin panel it works fine.

When i view the forum feed i get there seems to be a problem with the SQL Server we will be back shortly.

When i subscribe to the news feed in Firefox i get this

Code:
XML Parsing Error: xml declaration not at start of external entity

Location: http://www.artofgaming.co.uk/modules.php?name=Feeds&fid=1&type=RSS20
Line Number 2, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
^

When i view it in IE 7 i get a page cannot be displayed...

Im using Platinum 7.6.b.5

Any ideas on what is happening ..

Regards Gazza

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Looks like there is a space (blank line) outside the PHP tags somewhere in your:
- mainfile.php
- modules.php
- theme.php
- possibly one of the includes

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Ok i have tracked down the file that has the problem its the mainfile.php but i havent got a scooby doo what the problem is Laughing

Any chance you could take a look at it for me please.

This is a problem in the B5 release and would be good to rectify..

Last edited by Gazzasan on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
kguske

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

WIsh I had time...look for a blank line before the opening <?php

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Nah mate no blank line there i checked. tags are at top of the page.

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Weird when i view the backend.php through Joomla news feeds it works...

Rolling Eyes

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

That's because Joomla ignores the blank spaces. Not all feed readers will...

Curious: what indicated that mainfile.php was the issue? Send that file via email (or posted it somewhere as a .txt file) so I can have a look.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Also check for empty lines at the end of those files too.
If in doubt, use a reaw text editor like Notepad++ (which is great!! ) and delete both start and end php tags then retype them to make sure hidden remnants are completely removed.

I had this issue myself recently with a theme file cause an error due to an unknown character failing a validation test. I could even see the character in Notepad++ which was unusual in itself so I completely deleted both lines at top and bottom of the file a retyped them by hand and as if by the magic of Mr Claus, it worked.

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Curious: what indicated that mainfile.php was the issue? Send that file via email (or posted it somewhere as a .txt file) so I can have a look.

I have other versions of platinum b5 in former development stages...

I swapped the files you mentioned and the one that worked was by swapping the mainfile.php

Here is the file anyway thanks for helping out. Wink

http://www.artofgaming.co.uk/nukeseo/mainfile.txt

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Guardian wrote:
Also check for empty lines at the end of those files too.
If in doubt, use a reaw text editor like Notepad++ (which is great!! ) and delete both start and end php tags then retype them to make sure hidden remnants are completely removed.

I had this issue myself recently with a theme file cause an error due to an unknown character failing a validation test. I could even see the character in Notepad++ which was unusual in itself so I completely deleted both lines at top and bottom of the file a retyped them by hand and as if by the magic of Mr Claus, it worked.

Thanks for that bud i tried that to no avail.. Cool

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Thanks. How about posting the one that works so I can compare?

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Here you go... Thankyou !!

http://www.artofgaming.co.uk/nukeseo/mainfile2.txt

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

There is a blank line (line 7172) after the ?> in mainfile.txt.

You can fix that by deleting everything after ?>

The only other difference between the two files is the definition of WS_COPYRIGHT (I'm not sure how useful that is...but oh well!)

Gazzasan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

Well it was my editor i downloaded the Notepad ++ tool and Et Voila. Job done found the blank lines..

Appreciate you time and effort into solving this issue. Thanks.

Now back to my original post when you try to view the forums feed i get

There seems to be a problem with the server, sorry for the inconvenience.

We should be back shortly.

Any ideas on what could be causing this ?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Parsing Error: xml declaration Reply with quote

That error message is displayed when there is a problem connecting to the database and possibly when there are errors doing SQL. My guess is that there are differences either in the tables nukeFEED is trying to read, or with the files it tries to include to access the data (the forums feed is much more complex than the other content types).

Can you check your error log to see if one of the includes wasn't found? That would help a great deal. If not, it will be much more difficult to resolve since it means we'll have to debug the Forums content class in your environment (Nuke Platinum).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeFEED (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: