nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One thing that I think would increase page relevance...
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qlof
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

I think page relevance would increase alot in search engines if the title of a content or review page is also in the head tag. Right now if you enter a content page it says "Site name - Content". If it could be changed to "Site name - title of content" i think this would make every content page gain more relevance in google etc when people search for the content title string.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Although I agree that having the content title in the page title helps in many ways, I'd suggest that it come before the site name for 2 reasons.

First, the length of the title might make important content get truncated by the search engines, some of which only consider the first x characters of a page title. Putting the site name first increases the likelihood that it will get truncated - either by a search engine or by a printer when a human visitor prints the page.

Second, the title of the content is more important than the site name - both for search engines and for human visitors. Both search engines and human visitors have the URL if they need to relocate the page, but if a long site name truncates the important title, it will be less useful.

Qlof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Good point. Either way, the way it is now in PHPNuke is that the title of the content page is not the title of the page in google etc since its not the head tag (i guess). They are now "Sitename - Content" with the actial word "Content" which can't be good...

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Which is why I would suggest using my Dynamic Titles. Wink

Qlof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

That's a good addon, montego.

I was looking at the readme and noticed that this is how the title is generated:

echo '<title>'.$sitename.' '.$pagetitle.'</title>'."\n";

I would like to change the content title only. I tried this in the index.php of the content module:

$pagetitle = "- $title - $subtitle";

But it didn't seem to work at all which is weird to me. Maybe because title and subtitle hasn't been generated yet in the script... so I tried placing it lower down on the page but it still didn't work. Any ideas?

The reason I rather do this than installing your addon is because I don't really want all of the story text in news in the title nor the beginning of reviews (we do reviews through the content module which is why i want title - subtitle in the header).

montego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Well, hopefully you will find that moving things around in the code is quite easy to do. Wink

However, the current DT for Content uses the following format for the actual content:

subject - title

Where title is the title of the category that the content is in.

Remember, you want the most descriptive text up front as possible because you want to encourage a greater CTR (click-through rate) and humans are on the other end of your results. I would think the content subject would be far more appropriate than the category that it is in.

But, of course, that is your decision to make. If you don't like the order, just switch it around in the code. I make that pretty easy. Wink

Qlof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

The addon doesn't work at all on my phpnuke 7.8. It makes the same title as before. I don't see why it doesn't see the file and the settings in the config...

montego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

I don't know of any reason why this would not work in 7.8 other than maybe the code in header.php was not done properly.

It could also mean that you are not using the latest patches from Nuke Resources as my script requires INCLUDE_PATH be set properly ahead of time in mainfile.php.

Qlof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Yeah I don't use the latest patches. I've done so many edits I dont just wanna upload new files at certain places.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

The 'Patches' from NukeResources will help fix some of the base nuke core vulnerabilities as well as some core bugs so you should really be using them if you can.

Qlof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Yeah I'm thinking about it. Don't know if it's worth all the work. We don't use phpnuke as a portal where people can register and submit articles, content and comments. So I had to delete all that. We use a standalone forum aswell so we're not really interested in having people post news etc. It's a good portal for a news and content website.

I dont mean we as in me. I mean we as in me and the rest of the crew on my site Wink.

Qlof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

I uploaded the patched files and got this error: Unknown column 'type' in 'where clause'

The readme file says to "run the included updates" and to edit "modules". That's very informative. Run what? Edit what file? All index.php files in all modules? Those files doesn't contain the lines that was supposed to be edited. I tried registering for the forum to read the support thread listed in the readme file, but I never got a comfirmation email so I couldn't access the forum.

Plus I lost alot of the changed I had done. I could've made those again but I don't really feel like first fixing their shit and then mine. So I just uploaded the old files again. I ran security updates for the sql injection a long time ago and they will do. There's got to be an other way to get a custom content title.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Sorry for your frustration. I can just say that you are not using nuke in its typical fashion, so please be patient.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my files right now (at work). I also don't have 7.8 handy. If you can be patient, I will see what is necessary for a non-patched 7.8 to work. I am really thinking it is just the path. Since you are using a standalone forum, you could try adding at the top of header.php the following:

define('INCLUDE_PATH', '.');

Then see if DT works right for you.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

Sorry, that needs to be:

define('INCLUDE_PATH', './');

I forgot the forward slash.

Qlof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: One thing that I think would increase page relevance... Reply with quote

That worked perfectly! Thanks!

I don't really wanna ask for more help but if you have time... Do you know how I can edit the dynamic_titles.php file under content so that the content subtitle (if there is one) is also included in the title? Preferrably Title - Subtitle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: