nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UTF-8 Compatible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: UTF-8 Compatible? Reply with quote

Is the current nukeWYSIWYG editor UTF-8 compatible? One thing of particular concern is the image upload, since that is operating on binary data.

Just hoping that maybe you already knew off the top of your head. If not, that is ok. If in my research I learn more about this, I'll post back too.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: UTF-8 Compatible? Reply with quote

I don't think the editor cares how the data is stored (i.e. in which format). What matters, I think, is the format presented on the page in the content-type. The same is true for image upload.

Also, I found Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! about converting PHP-Nuke to UTF-8. In testing on nukeFEED, I found a news article that had characters that weren't stored correctly for UTF-8, but I haven't figured out how that can be addressed. I'm not sure if nukeFEED should address it, or if it should be addressed at input (garbage in, garbage out). Generating XML feeds may highlight a bigger issue...

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UTF-8 Compatible? Reply with quote

Were you referring to Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!?

montego

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: UTF-8 Compatible? Reply with quote

I had picked up on the comment made in the last article I posted in the nukeFEED thread about possible issues with binary data upload. This does look similar. The specific issue was even with Windows version of unicode really being UTF-16 small endian something or other. Laughing (Yes, I don't understand it all yet, but trying to get there.)

I have to be sure that with such wide-spread acceptance that FCK Editor has and active development, that it is probably really good. But, definitely good to keep up with updates I guess.

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UTF-8 Compatible? Reply with quote

Read your post in nukeFEED forum too.
I can see how the chinese character set could be an issue but I think its ultimately down to the fact that UTF-8 has no character map for some characters from other encoding types (over the 128 limit).
Sorry but if the Chinese cannot sit down with the UTF guys and agree on character bytes then let them sort out their own mess.

I would agree RN should be fully UTF-8 as it seems to offer the most potential for multilingual support without falling over and of course there are some things that HAVE to be UTF -8 to work at all. Even some of the language files we are using at present cannot be read by us mere mortals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeWYSIWYG (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: