nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Help us make nukeFEED fit your needs! Please give your feedback, comments, and suggestions in the following areas:

• Layout - should the icons be horizontal or vertical (see the screenshots above for samples)? Would you prefer drop down selections, and, if so, what should be the default, if any?
  • Should the types of available feeds (formats) be specified for all feeds or for each feed? Or should all available formats always be available? Would you want to exclude certain formats, either by feed or for all feeds? Why?
  • Do you like the logo?
  • What other features would you like?

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Quote:
* Layout - should the icons be horizontal or vertical (see the screenshots above for samples)?

Has to be vertical (the left hand screen shot). IMHO it's a practicality thing. If you have a fixed width theme AND want to use right blocks, using the feed icons horizontally is going to look very messy, very quickly.

Quote:
* Should the types of available feeds (formats) be specified for all feeds or for each feed? Or should all available formats always be available? Would you want to exclude certain formats, either by feed or for all feeds? Why?

All formats available should be shown for each individual feed. There isn't any real point in excluding certain formats as the webmaster has no advanced knowledge of what specific format(s) a visitor might wish to use - when you eat out and there is a knife, fork and spoon on the table, the waiter doesnt take the spoon away and hope you don't want to order soup! Laughing
Quote:
* Do you like the logo?
* What other features would you like?

Yeah the logo looks ok to me but I'm sure I might have something of a higher quality, let me see what I can dig up - do you have a specific image in mind?
Cannot think of any other features right now that I want to post in the public arena but I do have one I'll PM you about.

Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

OK it's been a couple of days now, more than enough to cobble this together - where is it?
Only kidding lmao....

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Hehehe... I'm actually on the road atm. So much to do - so little time. I am working on it...

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Your latest news article looks great. Glad to see some progress being reported - nice work!

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

It's a little trickier than I thought, but it's coming along nicely. What's really nice is that, with a little extra effort, it has the groundwork to support several other nice functions...

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

I agree. You are building some good key "infrastructure" for future applications. Especially if you are able to solve the multi-character set issue and embody that in a common class. I am looking forward to seeing the end result.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

I was looking at some of the stuff (including commercial) written for Joomla. Some claim to address multi-character set issues, but I haven't tried or been able to verify that yet. It will likely be the last thing I do, and I may release it before doing that, depending on demands and workload. But if I can, I'd like to look into that, too.

boogywoogy
webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Hi,

This sounds like a great project Smile cheers...

Just wanted to know suppose we have say 18 - 20 topics under news section whether individual news topic rss can be formed or not (By those picture posted there it looks possible to me - just wanted to confirm)

I hope you guys are keeping in mind ot make the feeds ShortLink Tapped or GTapped also..

Any release date?

Cheers.. Very Happy

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

Yes, you will be able to create feeds for individual news topics.

Not sure about a release date yet. The feed admin function is finished. The script I used for linked selections (I must have looked at 10 different scripts for this) works great for adding links, but, like the others, has no provisions for editing. Adding that slowed down the process.

I'm working on the subscription administration (a way to define the aggregators for which you want to show subscription links). This isn't shown in the preview screen. I was thinking of using AJAX to enable editing in place, but I think for time's sake I'll just use a standard select, edit, save process. The AJAX stuff will be a nice 1.1 or 2.0 enhancement, so the subscription maintenance should be done this weekend...

Finally, I'll convert the hard-coded feed generation to a class-based function to make it easier to extend this to any content types. That may take another weekend (or longer), so I'm guessing 2-4 weeks.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

boogywoogy,

Anything which pulls in header.php and footer.php can be tapped with the normal GT files with no code changes necessary on the module and block side (only true with ShortLinks on the block side). However, with very minor code changes, even the RSS/XML/etc. type feeds, that will NOT pull in header.php and footer.php, can be tapped.

Kguske, what I have done with the HTML Newsletter's backend script is let it actually produce the right "tapped" links (switchable on/off), so that it would not have to be run through the normal tapping routines. So, that is an option, or, I could at least give you the code to add for ShortLinks (just wrap it in one check for a define and you are good-to-go).

boogywoogy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

kguske, I have a small suggestion I do not know whether its already planned or it is already incorporated or not - if you can attach a module/block where the visitors can choose from various rss feeds from one site - say some thing like website rss link directory or rss link block . Or else after creating the feeds we have to link to 20 feeds from the home page only - i presently deliver 4 variations of backend feeds and giving links from home page!

montego, great to know that. Actually presently i run GTNext and there is no option to tap the backend feed there i belive (I have put some other backend script changes collected from raven or nukecop site which are giving GT links now). Infact i am to upgrade the site and also do away with GT and bring in your Shortlink and there i have seen an option to tap backend is there. I think that on/off swicth idea will come to good use to people using any kinda tapping.

Cheers Very Happy

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

We can add a block that lists the feeds. There will be a module page that lists the feeds and has a feed list (or feed map) in OPML format. I was thinking of having a subscription block that lists feeds for the current module, too. Maybe they can be the same block, and when it appears on the index page, it will show all feeds... I'll also give instructions on how to make a feed appear to FireFox (and other browsers) as a Live Feed (i.e. RSS icon in the address bar).

Also, we're getting pretty close on the main functionality, and I'll probably send a few pre-release copies for testing. I'm debating whether to pop up a list of subscription links (e.g. newsgator, Google Reader, generic RSS 2.0) etc. in a BoxOver popup, or use DHTML to expand the list. I definitely don't want to open a new HTML window / popup. Currently, I have the BoxOver approach working nicely. Either approach beats listing all the icons / links on the page, but both require additions to the HEAD section (i.e. manual changes for installation). Since we're using BoxOver for so many other things, including help popups for this and other future modules, I'm leaning in that direction. Thoughts?

Also, you'll be able to maintain the list of subscription links you want to display, too. In a future release, we'll add the ability to rank subscription links by pagerank, Alexa, etc., but definitely don't need that for the first release. Unlike the Social Bookmarks addon, this will use a database table, rather than a config file.

Later, I'll post some screen shots w/ examples for feedback.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

I know you cannot give release dates so perhaps as a percentage of the likelihood of having something to work with before I begger off to pastures in October?

Wel, a guy has to ask lmao, you know I have had itchy fingers for this for.. a long time.

Anyway, you were saying that on a per feed basis you'll have a boxover or dhtml menu for the different types/formats available. That would be cool.
I have no preference either way other than of course whichever is the most indexable.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and suggestions for nukeFEED Reply with quote

You will definitely get a pre-release copy, probably in the next week or two.

Since BoxOver uses the title tag, both approaches should be indexed. I haven't tested the DHTML approach yet - it might be cleaner to use that approach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeFEED (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Page 1 of 4

Jump to: