nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nuke READER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: nuke READER Reply with quote

Well you already know what I'm going to say.
My Nirvana would be a replacement for Multiheadlines (which seems to have halted in development) but without the bugs.
It should at least have very similar functionality;
Multiple format support including RSS2, XML, etc.
Feed categories and sub categories with associated icons
Ability to cache the incoming feed
Ability to configure the 'refresh cache' rate of each feed

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to invest development time on something that already exists in some form, but will continue to monitor development on Multiheadlines. Since nukeREADER is last on the list (after nukePIE - which is close, nukeFEED, and nukeSEO), it may be a while anyway.

SimplePIE, on which both nukePIE and nukeREADER are / will be based, can handle multiple formats and configurable caching. The extras (feed categories, etc.) shouldn't be a big deal. So far, I made a simple mod to SimplePIE and added some functions for compliance (although I'm not sure full compliance is possible since it depends on the incoming feed - or a magic function that converts non-compliant stuff to compliant, which is too much for a first generation...).

Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

I hear ya!
Well if you need another tester for any of the other stuff just hit me up.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

Thanks - I definitely will. Are you using the Mouse Hover Topic Boxover mod? nukePIE uses Boxover to popup the description, but I am considering making that optional. What do you think?

montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

I love having choices. Wink

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

I'm not using BoxOver and it's nice to have the choice.
I have seen sites that pop up stuff in a similar way and although these have been for ads, I quickly got bored and annoyed everytime my mouse accidetnally hovered over a hot spot.

I would certainly consider using it though and I might just put it on code-authors to see what its like.
It wouldn't really be fair to condemn something without trying it out first!

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

You can see it here by scrolling down on the main page and hovering over one of the stories from PHP Magazine. Also, whether or not it pops up info with BoxOver, it would popup information via the title tag, just not as much nor would it be HTML.

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

Oooh, thats a bit sexy!!
I rather like that, it has benefits - not having to click the link and see what comes next and mess about closing browser windows or naviagting back a page.
Nice!

redhairz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

nice staff ya i like the Multiheadlines which enable to delete the item from the rss feed. the problem is thatr it appeared back when the rss feed is refresh. so you got to delete it very time it refresh. troublesome.

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

I don't see a way around that as the feed itself determines what Multiheadlines will cache and display although there is the option to set how many 'items' it grabs.

redhairz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

i believe it can be done since the module can delete off the item from within the rss feed. its the matter of will. it has to creat another table to remember the item title so when it refreshed it will automatic delete. it can be done. i am sure the developer is willing to add in Smile

Last edited by redhairz on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

nukeREADER is on our road map, but probably not until later this year or next year. Way too much in between...

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

redhairz wrote:
i believe it can be done since the module can delete off the item from within the rss feed. its the matter of will. it has to creat another table to remember the item title so when it refreshed it will automatic delete. it can be done. i am sure the developer is willing to add in Smile

Yes I believe Multiheadlines can store the feed data in the database and use that as the source of the data to send to the page. However, I'm not using that as it is very expensive in terms of resources, I'm just using the cached data directly from the feed.
And of course, the next time an update is run, the data will get put back into the DB so you have to delete it again.
As data taken from the DB would naturally use a row count for each table row of data I guess it might be possible to alter the sql to allow for a specific row id to be bypassed but agan, this over time is going to add significantly to the amount of resources required.

redhairz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: nuke READER Reply with quote

Guardian wrote:
redhairz wrote:

Yes I believe Multiheadlines can store the feed data in the database and use that as the source of the data to send to the page. However, I'm not using that as it is very expensive in terms of resources, I'm just using the cached data directly from the feed.
And of course, the next time an update is run, the data will get put back into the DB so you have to delete it again.
As data taken from the DB would naturally use a row count for each table row of data I guess it might be possible to alter the sql to allow for a specific row id to be bypassed but agan, this over time is going to add significantly to the amount of resources required.

Guardian hey nice to hear from your comment well i didnt thought of that
it did cross my mind having storing the DB would not affect the resoure because this is a just an item the byte size is small and i assume the nuke can handle that. Well the current version is having that issue which the admin had to delete the item everytime the feed refreshed having say that noone has rise this question. i suppose using the cashed data directly from the feed would prove effective. DB table are not need too. i had been working around this code but no success. i was thinking of using your matter as to apply the cache feed from how do i go abt it?
Code:
#####################################################################

function Del($id){
   global $db, $prefix;

if (isset($id)) {
      $db->sql_query("DELETE FROM " . $prefix . "_multiheadlines_news WHERE news_id='".intval($id)."'");
   }
   Header("Location: ".$_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]);
}

sorry admin is this out of topic discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukePIE (tm), nukeREADER (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: