nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sitemap Size - Large Number Links

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montego
webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Sitemap Size - Large Number Links Reply with quote

Although my site right now does not have this problem, I am wondering if a larger site could run into this. I have seen in several places with regards to SEO that a large number of links on any given page could cause problems with search engines. In fact, when I submitted the Analyze META Tags function, it returned the following:

Code:

Web page analysis. 
This page contains too many URLs.
This tag contains 194 urls. Some Search Engines have problems with more than 100 urls on a page.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The size of the web page is to big.
The size of the web page is 104199 bytes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The web page load time.
The web page load time is 5 seconds.

What I am wondering is if the Sitemap should really incorporate some form of paging so that the number of links are kept to a reasonable number?

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitemap Size - Large Number Links Reply with quote

A good idea consider for 2.0...

Thanks!

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitemap Size - Large Number Links Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, this is not an issue with sitemaps specifically for google. From what I understand the limitation is 50,000 links and a file size limit of 10,485,760 bytes (10Meg).

However, nukeSEO is about optimisation in general, not specifically for google so I think you raised an extremely valid point montego and one which I for one, had not really considered before.

Just to put my own 2 cents in, for what its worth...
Rather than paging, I would prefer something akin to one 'master map' which would then contain links to numerous individual 'child maps'.
No doubt this would be harder to achieve but I'm think something along the lines of one 'map' per module as an example so when it comes to updating them, you would only need to actually update the most commonly used ones like news/forums rather than the whole shebang.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitemap Size - Large Number Links Reply with quote

Actually, I do need to be specific. With regards to the "large number of links", I was not addressing the submittal of the sitemap to Google. Guardian, I am in complete agreement with you and I do believe it was as you say. What I am saying is the dynamic Sitemap module that one can enable and have a link to either in the modules block or really anywhere else on the site.

Sorry for the confusing post guys. I should have been more specific. And, I like the hierarchical idea that Guardian has put forth. It is how we typically think when we think of site maps, so it makes a lot of sense to do it this way.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sitemap Size - Large Number Links Reply with quote

My apologies for my pre-supposition. I was working under the impression that when you referred to 'sitemap' I was thinking specifically of the xml schema google sitemap which I see from clicking the Sitemap link in the menu here is not the case.
What is produced is a 'generic' sitemap which all search engines can read and use - cool!
Yes, that page of links would need to be split, wether by paging or my proposed methodolgy was used is immaterial. The issue I see is that some search engines will 'presume' it is simply a directory of links and spit its dummy out.
'Splitting' would also help with resource useage as well. For example, the last time I created a sitemap for my own site it was over 5Mb in size and when the alexabot came visiting with 30 of its friends in tow that was a sizable chunk of memory and bandwidth consumed in one go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: